Tuesday, January 28, 2014

On being brave...

My Mum thinks I am very brave to be making this move. I think I don't have a choice in the matter.

I had decided this was going to be a good week. The end of last week saw apprehension, bad news on houses in NZ, a quote for moving that was well over double what we had thought it would be and the realisation of the enormity of work that this house needs before we can put it on the market. And we are meant to be moving in MARCH?!

My mood is swinging between pissed off and slightly excited. It's also kind of exciting to see our beautiful little home finally getting finished (even though it's not for us).

We wanted to put up a VJ/tongue and groove style ceiling in the study but it's going to cost too much. Nik suggested straight plywood which would make it a bit too dark and small. I had the clever idea of whitewashing the ply and googled it to see if anyone has done it. Turns out it's kinda the next big thing! Lots of beach houses are doing it and it's a cheap and easy way to get a worn look.

We are also having to do a shit load of work on the kitchen here before we can list it for sale. I had always wanted a white timber kitchen with stone or timber bench tops. As with most things though, what I wanted didn't count so we ended up putting on plain white gloss cupboard doors that Nik's parents paid for. While I am full of gratitude and grateful that they could help, it was a knee jerk decision that wasn't thought through by Nik and now we have half a kitchen with 1980s yellow doors falling off their hinges and the other half white gloss. Just more work to do!!

In other news, we have found out that (maybe) we can get a mortgage in NZ. There would of course be conditions attached to it, but hopefully it will mean the freedom of our own home again. There are fuck all rentals in the area we want to live in and not many more in town. Plus it would mean moving from here, into the in-laws, into a rental then into a long term property. Personally if I could find a decent rental I would prefer that than owning again straight away but AGAIN what I want or think doesn't matter. Story of my life.

The house we are looking at turns out needs the internal walls knocked down so I can see the kids from the kitchen. The main living area is blocked off, and the fireplace is also on that wall. It'd be a pretty massive job but Nik seems to think it won't be too hard to do. The bonus is it's a huge block backing on to farmland, a few seconds from the school and play center and on the high, sunny side of the street. And it's white, hooray! I am not getting my hopes up again though. I couldn't bare to get them dashed again.

So we are having a garage sale on Saturday I think? We were going to get the removalists to come in and do a 1st pack of all the stuff we want out of the house to sell it but unfortunately it's too $$$ so I now have to do it all myself and store it in the shed, which means making room in the shed. I can't do that though until I have finished sewing a present for my dear friend (so I can pack up all the study/sewing room) and we can't move all the linen cupboards out until Nik finishes the new linen cupboard in the kitchen. That bloody chain effect again.

And somehow I also have to parent my children.

It was going to be a good week.

{a before shot of the beach cottage}





No comments:

Post a Comment